Pinterest

]

Monday, January 15, 2018

Scrappy Log Cabin

Hello quilty friends, I know it's been forever, but I really feel like blogging and sharing dreamy photos of quilts, fabric, and my darling grandchildren.

My scrap pile is never ending!  I make up scrap bags to sell, give bags of scraps to charity, and still have piles and piles.  I must admit some scraps are extremely difficult to part with!  I threw some away the other day and Jasmine commented "you're throwing that away!  I didn't think you threw any fabric away."  Does that mean I have a problem?  Or is it my mind always thinking "I can make the cutest something or other with this." 

When the Bloc Loc Log Cabin rulers became available, I decided I was going to start a scrappy log cabin.  My bin looks like this ....


If you follow me on Instagram, you may recall I wrote a little post about this back in October at a quilting retreat.  I am slowly whittling away on this pile of scraps, always adding more, and this is what I am making ...


A Scrappy Log Cabin quilt.  😍 Progress is slow, but when I pieced a few of my completed blocks  together last night into sets of 4 and laid them out, I was tickled pink.  I do believe I have another favorite scrappy quilt!  Bloc Loc thank you for saving me.  The beauty of the Bloc Loc ruler is that I can pick a strip or patch from the bin (and I don't even square it up or always have a straight line), sew it on, press, lock the Bloc Loc onto the seam and trim.  I square up my blocks when I finish piecing them (I am making the individual blocks 7 1/2", finished square of 4 measures 14 1/2").  I sew, press, and trim -- and try to do as much chain piecing as possible to save a little time.  I hope to at least have patience to make a twin quilt or possible one to fit a full size bed.  This will be an ongoing WIP, but when it's done I will have some delightful memories of beautiful fabrics we have carried in the shop, other projects that were made, or even a piece of two from a scrap of a customer quilt. 

I am using the Bloc Loc 1/2" x 1" ruler and my strips finish at 1".  It's easy peasy and you should definitely get one to try, we have various sizes in the shop. I have attached a link to Bloc Loc's ruler tutorials so you can see how it's done. www.blocloc.com/video-tutorials-new/
Bloc Loc 1/2" x 1" Ruler
Now I just need to get started on the project I'm dreaming up with the new Bloc Loc Pineapple Rulers we are carrying (hint -- it will have lots of red and green scraps). 

Wishing you a week of happiness and success!

Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment